Alberto Fedrigotti: EU Irish

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Mon Jun 20 12:10:02 UTC 2005

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:14:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Alberto Fedrigotti <fedrigotti at rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: George Dillon: EU Irish
To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>

Dear all,
I can help with Italian.
We can send a letter in which we argue that we are ready to translate
using our capabilities.
Have a nice day.

From: George Dillon
To: CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: EU Irish

This thing is just tokenism, at which Irish governments are very good.

To raise just one question, you can't have a
system of translation and interpretation without
a good foundation of dictionaries. But there are
no dictionaries between Irish and any of the
other official EU languages, except of course
English, and even these latter are out of date.

So what will happen is that the
interpreters/translators willl go from, say
German to English and then from English on to
Irish. Meaning that English will be used TWICE
over!.

George Dillon

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link