Caoimhin O'Donnel:

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Wed Mar 23 17:39:28 UTC 2005

From: Caoimhin O Donnaile <caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk>
To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: Re: Andrew Carnie: Nasal Fricatives

>  I was sitting in a preliminary exam defense last week, when my
>  colleague, a phonetician asserted "It is impossible to produce a nasal
...snip...
>  or bilabial fricative (and NOT a nasalized bilabial approximant,
>  which would be the broad version).

In Scottish Gaelic (So I read, anyway - I am no expert),
nasalisation normally extends over a word segment, rather than being
restricted to a single vowel like in French and Polish.  I don't know
whether that makes any difference.

Nasalisation is (in my impression) a lot more common in Scottish Gaelic
than Irish Gaelic.  I am pretty sure that lots of people would pronounce
a word like "mhothaich" with a nasal /v/ at the beginning.  That's how
it's perceived anyway.  Although maybe, come to think of it, it is
actually implemented on the /o/ or the /h/ ?

Caoimhín
--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link