Tom Pullman: Nasal Fricatives

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Thu Mar 24 12:25:17 UTC 2005

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:09:31 +0000
From: Tom Pullman <tjop2 at cam.ac.uk>

Michael Everson wrote:

>>Ni Chasaide writes the latter as [v] with a mid back unrounded
>>vowel secondary articulation (a characterization I find baffling),
>>but that's besides the point.
>

>That isn't a vowel, it's a symbol for glottalization.

Not glottalization but velarization.

The reason for the use of the vowel symbol is that if you took away
the primary articulation, what you'd be left with is a vocalic
articulation, in this case a mid back unrounded one.

This is the same thing as saying that you also have a velar
constriction at the same time as the primary labial one.

Tom Pullman

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link