Andrew Carnie: more on bilabial secondary articulation.

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Thu Mar 24 12:27:09 UTC 2005

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:17:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org> Hi All

Clarifying what I said earlier. I went and double-checked Ni
Chaiside's paper and the official IPA handbook and...

Michael Everson wrote:
>That isn't a vowel, it's a symbol for glottalization.

Sorry, it is a vowel. It's "small gamma", which is as I said,  a mid back
unrounded vowel. It's used here to indicate a vocalic quality to the
consonant, precisely a back quality. The point I was making about it
not making sense is that [v+gamma] is not teh same thing as a
bilabial approximant ([w]) which is how I think most (all?) speakers
pronounce the broad variant of [v] at least some of the time.
(contrast this with
a broad /k/ and a slender /k/ which ARE easily construed as either [k+gamma]
and [v+iota/jod] respectively. I just don't think it applies to the bilabials.

The symbol for glottalization, by the way, is a superscripted glottal stop
in the official IPA, and an apostrophe in the Americanization.

Andrew
--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link