Kevin Riley: Nasal Fricatives

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Thu Mar 24 12:28:56 UTC 2005

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:14:50 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)
From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley at alphalink.com.au>

As for whether <mh> is [v] or bilabial, that depends upon whether it is broad
or slender. The broad version is of course a bilabial approximate. I've
seen native speakers pronounce the slender version as either [v] (usually
dubliners) or as a bilabial fricative [Beta]. Ni Chasaide writes the
latter as [v] with a mid  back unrounded vowel
secondary articulation (a characterization I find
baffling), but that's besides the point.

Andrew
--

Both broad and slender 'mh' are recorded as
bilabial fricatives by writers on Munster Irish.

Kevin Riley
--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link