Michael Everson: more on bilabial secondary articulation

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Thu Mar 24 14:44:58 UTC 2005

To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Subject: Re: Andrew Carnie: more on bilabial secondary articulation.

>From: Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org> Hi All
>
>Michael Everson wrote:
>>That isn't a vowel, it's a symbol for glottalization.

Yes, I meant velarization.

>Sorry, it is a vowel. It's "small gamma", which is as I said,  a mid back

unrounded vowel.

This is incorrect. In page ix of the IPA handbook, the modifier
letter gamma is used to indicate velarization. This is not the "ram's
horn vowel" which is an unrounded o -- and a gamma is certainly a
consonant, not a vowel. Note that modifier letter j (also a
consonant) is used to indicate palatalization.

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link