Hebrides late 9th century

polarstar at WEB.DE polarstar at WEB.DE
Wed Jul 26 17:47:03 UTC 2006

The recent question about a Pictish place name for a novel reminded me that I could maybe find some answers for some of my own current questions here. I would like to write a novel as well, set mainly in the Hebrides in the second half of the 9th century, as well as some other parts of Scotland and the wider North Atlantic realm, involving contacts between Gaels, Vikings etc.
Although there is lots of material available for the general period, I have had some problems finding detailed information about the social and political situation of the Western Isles - most of the books I've browsed so far elegantly avoid clear statements about the population of this area. I am especially interested in questions of law and land ownership as well as anything that sheds light on the broader situation of social contacts among the various population groups in and around Scotland at that time, yet the focus is clearly on the Hebrides. I've already read quite a bit, but I still feel like a lot is missing.
If you know of any books or essays that could be of interest (apart from standard works like "Scandinavian Scotland", "Warlords and Holy Men", "The Picts and the Scots" etc.) I would be happy to receive some hints and advice.
I also wonder which source texts would be useful to read: is there much of interest to be found in the Annals of Ulster, or in Adomnan's Life of Columba, for example?
Thank you all,
Mona Striewe