FW: Pict Language research question from Australia

gwalstawd gwalstawd at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 26 18:58:05 UTC 2006

The Gaels, like most other people, would have had names for many places long before they had a linguistic presence there. People have names for important places, even when they never will have native speakers living on a permanent basis there.

  Welsh has names for many foreign places such as Mynyddoedd Mynnau for the Alps.

  The most relevant article I'm aware of is Kaherine Forsyth's entry in The Oxford Companion to Scottish History: 'languages of Scotland, pre-1100. It's a little long to summarise, but if you remind me of the details of the question I'll see what she has to say.

polarstar at WEB.DE wrote:
  But would the assumption of a Gaelic name fit with the area as mentioned for that period?
Mona Striewe