Comments on New Online Irish Dictionary?

Micilín Mac Měchúra MichalMechura at SEZNAM.CZ
Tue Sep 23 19:51:14 UTC 2008

Since we're in the business of critiquing dictionaries, let me air a point about irishdictionary.ie (also known as englishirishdictionary.com). This dictionary has been online for some time and I agree that it is useful. I have certainly used it many times myself. But the issue I have with it is that the website doesn't actually say anything about itself. There is no mention on the website of who owns it, no name or address, and there is no explanation of where they got their data from. Have they written the dictionary themselves? If so, what method did they use, what was their approach? Or did they licence the data from somewhere? It's all shrouded in mystery, and I find that really strange. If these people have created such a useful resource, why aren't they telling us who they are? If anybody knows the answers to these questions, please share them.

Michal