Comments on New Online Irish Dictionary?

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at SMO.UHI.AC.UK
Tue Sep 23 15:57:54 UTC 2008

> Although it is true that focal.ie* serves us well on specialized
> vocabulary and terminology, there is currently no online dictionary
> with a good treatment of the general, non-specialized vocabulary of
> Irish. Eoin deserves credit for (1) recognizing that the gap exists
> and (2) doing something to fill it.

I agree entirely.  www.irishdictionary.ie is a wonderful resource.
It is the one I most use to check spelling and grammar and usage
when I am in a hurry typing e-mails, etc.  The other two Irish Gaelic
dictionary resources I most use are focal.ie, and An Foclóir Beag.

An Foclóir Beag is great for grammar, but would be a lot more useful if
the interface were improved slightly - It has currently got the
collation order wrong for example - All the accented characters
sort to the end of the alphabet after 'z'.

www.irishdictionary.ie has a lot of similarities with the Manx
Gaelic facility at  http://www.mannin.info/Mannin/fockleyr/e2m.php
which I also find wonderful.

Caoimhín