digital editing

Brian MacWhinney macwhinn at hku.hk
Sat Jul 28 06:56:24 UTC 2001

Dear Info-CHIBolts,

  Three updates on digital editing and playback.  First, I realize that I
had not documented the CLAN function of being able to control a mini-DV
camera across a FireWire connection.  So I added a bit on this to the
manual.  We have only tested this for Sony so far and it might not work for
cameras or decks that don't conform to exactly the same version of the
IEEE-1394 FireWire standard.  However, if you want to code your video
directly from digital tape without digitizing, you can use this facility.
Personally, I prefer digitizing, since you still have to wait for rewinding
and such when playing from a mini-DV camera or deck.
  The second update relates to the status of digitizing and compressing on
Windows.  At CMU, we had confined ourselves to providing instructions about
how to digitize on Mac, since that platform is significantly easier to
handle.  However, we are now also trying to help people with digitizing on
Windows using Premier and Media Cleaner.  With the help of Barbara Pan and
Manuela Wagner at Harvard, we now have a good path for Windows digitization
and the information on this will be placed along with the Mac info at
http://talkbank.org/digitalvideo/editing.html
in the next day or two.  Some is already there now and more will follow.
  The third update is more general.  This is that Leonid video editing on
Windows was basically broken before June, but that Leonid fixed it during
June and it is now working properly on both Mac and Windows.

--Brian MacWhinney