question re: %mor output for MLU calculations

Diane Pesco dpesco2 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 11 01:35:45 UTC 2003

  Hello all.

I have just tried the mor command for some English preschooler data
followed by post then hand disambiguation and am very pleased with the
results.  WOW.  It always sounded so complicated to me but it isn't
really at all.

Is it possible to get an mlu in morphemes (not words) directly from the
%pos (%mor disambiguated) line?  I've tried the following:  freq +t%pos
+s"*|*" filename

The s switch works to avoid getting a word frequencies in the output
which is what I want to do; I only want %pos codes.  But this clan
command gives output where 2 morphemes are included in the entries,e.g.
   n|animal-pl.
Obviously I can count by hand but I'm looking for output where I can use
the freq count as the nominator to calculate mlu  ... Thank you for any
tips!

--

Diane Pesco
School of Communication Sciences and Disorders
dpesco2 at po-box.mcgill.ca
tel. 514-398-4102
fax. 514-398-8123