JMOR questions

Susanne Miyata smiyata at asu.aasa.ac.jp
Fri Nov 5 00:38:37 UTC 2004

Dear Linda,
At 10:53 -0500 04.11.4, Cote, Linda (NIH/NICHD) wrote:
>We have the following questions regarding the 2002 JCHAT conventions
>for morphemization.
>
>1)  How should continuous present verbs be transcribed on the %MOR
>line?  For example, how should the verb naiteru appear?   As
>v:c|nak(u)-PRES  ?  We could not find anything on continuous present
>tense verbs in the 2002 MOR Manual that we downloaded.

it becomes
*CHI:	naite (i)ru .
%mor:	v:c|nak-CONN v:v:sub|i-PRES .
that is, "iru" is handled as an independent subsidiary verb, and the
preceding "-te" as connective.

>2)  How should nda be transcribed (e.g., kaku  nda)?   In the 1998
>manual, it is classified under Copula and Auxiliaries, but it is not
>mentioned in the 2002 manual.

This is separated, too. It is analyzed as a sentence nominalizer "no"
with a following copula;.

*CHI:	kaku n da .
%mor:	v:c|kak=write-PRES ptl:snr|no v:cop|da&PRES .

>3)  How should kirei ni be transcribed?  (And does the ni make this
>phrase an adverbial adjective or an adverb?)

it should be "ee" instead of "ei". Adjectival noun plus a copula.
*CHI:	kiree ni naru .
%mor:	n:an|kiree v:cop|ni&SGER v:c|nar=become-PRES .
(The phrase as a whole is not analyzed within JMOR, but i would see
it as analog to "sensee ni naru < sensee da")

>4)  In order to code a verb as "connective", must it be followed by
>a subsidiary verb?

not necessarily; it can also connect sentences like "gohan tabete
benkyoo shite hayaku neta."
hope that helps,
Susanne