Japanese MOR

Cote, Linda (NIH/NICHD) cotel at cfr.nichd.nih.gov
Wed Oct 13 14:34:23 UTC 2004

Good morning,

We have two questions about Japanese MOR.

First, how do we parse compound verbs in Japanese MOR?  In Suzanne Miyata's
JCHAT Manual (chapter 29), it says to do it one way (e.g.,  tabetekuru is
parsed as   v:v|tabe-tekur-PRES) and in the WAKACHI.doc file that is part of
the downloadable JMOR program from the CHILDES website, it says to do it
another way (e.g., for the same compound verb tabetekuru).  (Basically JCHAT
Manual does not count the 2nd verb in the compound verb as a separate
morpheme, whereas WAKACHI.doc does.)

Second, in Miyata's JCHAT Manual, mitai is categorized as SMOD (Sentence
modalizer) but in Wakachi it's categorized as an auxiliary verb
(v:aux|mitai-PRES).  Which is correct?  (The SMOD category does not seem to
be listed in Miyata's JCHAT Manual).

We think that when Miyata's JCHAT Manual and Wakachi.doc conflict, that the
Japanese MOR program follows Wakachi.doc, in terms of the choices it gives
you.  Is this correct?

Thank you,

Linda

Linda R. Cote, Ph.D.

Research Scientist and Statistical Contractor

Child & Family Research

National Institute of Child Health and Human Development

Suite 8030

6705 Rockledge Drive

Bethesda, MD  20892-7971

Telephone:  (301) 496-6832