CLAN tools: selecting all files recursively / selecting utterances by child age

Steven Bethard Steven.Bethard at colorado.edu
Thu Nov 16 21:51:20 UTC 2006

Is there any way to select all files recursively in a directory?  Say I
have a directory structure like::

     childes/
       Garvey/
         amyann.cha
         amywes.cha
       Gleason/
         Dinner/
           andy.cha
           bobby.cha

If I want to search through all these files, how would I issue the
command?  I know I can do things like ``freq +s"before" *.cha`` if I'm
in, say, the childes/Garvey directory, but I can't figure out how to
select multiple files from multiple directories.

On a related note, is there a way to select utterances by child age?
Say I'm searching through these files for utterances, but I'm only
interested in utterances from children that are 4 years old.  I can see
that this information is stored in the @ID field of the .CHA files (and
so I could do this manually for each utterance) but I couldn't figure
out how to get the CLAN tools to match speakers with their ages for me.

Thanks,

Steven Bethard
Department of Computer Science
University of Colorado at Boulder