Convert older CHAT files

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Dec 6 17:45:47 UTC 2007

Dear Anne-Christin,
      Converting old files will take a lot of work.  Some parts of this
work, however,
can be somewhat automated.  My guess is that you are reading an old
version of the
CLAN manual.  You should download a new version from the web.  Then
open up
Chapter 11 on the Utility Commands and you will see the INSERT
command.  This is
the replacement for the old ID command.  That will help with the
headers.  However,
before running INSERT, make sure that your @Participants header tiers
are correct, since
INSERT relies a lot on those.
     Past that point, there may be repetitive changes of specific
codes.  CLAN has two tools for
this.  One is CHSTRING and the other is the Query-Replace inside each
file.  However, to
do this most efficiently you should use a tool like BBEdit on the Mac
or perhaps Perl or Awk
on Unix to do what are called regular expression replacements.  If you
understand how to
do things like this, these tools are extremely efficient.  However, if
you don't have access to something like BBEdit, you may want to get
some help on learning how to do global replacements
across collections of files.
     Best wishes,

--Brian MacWhinney