CHAINS tune up

Nikolai Penner mnpenner at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Dec 6 15:03:23 UTC 2007

Hello!
I have a couple of difficulties with CHAINS which I don't know how to
resolve. It would be interesting to know if this happens to other as
well and how one can cope with these issues.
Thanks a lot in advance!

1) CHAINS started to ignore the +wN switch and I can't line up the
columns showing where each code string occurs. This is what I get:
adj	$cons	$dat:	$dat:pre:plu	$dat:stn:loc:sin	$gend:	$gend:eng	$plur
$prep	$rel	$syn	$syn:miss:inf+zu	$verb	$voc	line #
0	0	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	10
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	0	0	0	17
0	0	0	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	33
0	0	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	42
0	0	0	0	0	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	45
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	55
0	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	65
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	69
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0

I tried all kinds of fonts and it still doesn't work. However, I did
work before when I set the font to Courier, but then I installed an
updated version of CLAN and then it stopped working.

2) In the manual as well as in CHAINS help it says that +d1 switch is
supposed to display every input line in the output. This would be an
extremely helpful in my research but CHAINS seems to ignore this
switch as well. The output is no different than without the switch at
all.

3) When searching for occurances of a particular code string, CHAINS,
for some reason, dublicates certain lines and gives them a count of
0.
This is what I get for the following command:

> chains +t%cod  +s$dat:% @

$dat:	line #
1 pre:plu	10
0	10
1 pre:plu	33
1 loc:sin	42
0	42
0	42
0	42
0	42
0	42
0	42
0	42
0	42
1 pre:plu	123
0	123
0	123
0	123
0	123
0	123
0	123
1 stn:loc:sin	183
0	183
0	183
I can't figure out why line 10 has one dublicate, and line 42 has 8.
There is nothing that different about them.
Also, here, the code pre:plu occured twice but it displayed on two
different lines with each being assigned a count of 1. Is there a way
to make CHAINS display the total number of occurances of a particular
string? When working with large files which have a lot of codes in
them, it would be a pain going throught the list and trying to count
how many times each individual code occured.

Once again, thank you in advance!
Nikolai