kwal query

Cathy Lonngren cathy.lonngren at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 8 13:03:40 UTC 2008

Despite lots of attempts and experiments I am having problems getting the
output I want when using KWAL on my bilingual files. Coded using <....>[@en]
and <....[@pt] to separate the languages, when I use FREQ to get word lists
using the following command line I get the output I desire i.e. the program
performs analysis on only the Portuguese or English material of a particular
speaker (e.g.JAM):  freq @ +t*JAM +s"<@pt>"  (gives me the Portuguese JAM
uses) and freq @ +t*JAM +s"<@en>" (gives me the English he uses). These
results indicate that my codes work. However, when I use KWAL in a similar
way the program does not give me the lines with just the Portuguese or just
the English, no matter which of the following command lines I use. With all
these commands I get the same results (i.e all of JAM's utterances with no
selection or exclusion being performed):    kwal @ +t*JAM +s"<@pt>"
kwal @ +t*JAM +s"<@en>"    kwal @ +t*JAM -s"<@en>"    Kwal @ +t*JAM
-s"<@pt>"

Three years ago I was able to use these commands and get the results I
wanted. I have the latest version of CLAN installed and am thinking that
something might have changed but if FREQ can understand my codes why can't
KWAL. I hope that there is something simple I'm missing so I would
appreciate any help. I've got an short example file I can send for testing.

Thank you,

Cathy

Cathy Lonngren Sampaio
University of Hertfordshire