selecting and deleting/renaming tiers

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sun Sep 28 02:20:31 UTC 2008

Dear Christine,

     This type of detailed conditional selection of lines for
exclusion only works when there is a match, not when the criteria for
exclusion involve a non-match, as in your case.  More generally, the
best approach to this type of work is to rely not on CLAN, but on
replacement using a regular expression matching program, such as
BBEdit on Mac, or Perl or AWK on Unix.  Basically, you want to start
by running MOR.  Then run LONGTIER to make sure that you remove all
carriage returns from your %mor lines, since this simplifies things a
lot.  Then you use a regular expression to look for %mor, followed by
anything, then followed by "v|"  and for these you replace %mor with
%vhs and then delete all %mor using KWAL (as you already know how to
do).   In BBEdit, for example, the search string is

%mor(.*)v|
replace by
%vhs\1v|

Here the \1 is a copy of the (.*) of the search string.  Different
programs handle the regular expression matches in different ways.

I have never found a good regular expression matching program for
Windows, but maybe someone else knows of one.
Good luck with this,

-- Brian MacWhinney