using MOR/POST

Jamie Smith jms2cor4 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 03:41:28 UTC 2009

I have several questions about MOR after working my way through a
batch of transcripts. The most basic question is whether I have
overlooked any documentation for beginners, other than the CLAN manual
and the article linked here:

http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/morgrams/morphosyntax.doc

If so, perhaps I can find answers to these questions on my own. I'll
go ahead and ask the questions, hoping that they don't have
straightforward answers in a spot I've overlooked. Please let me know
if there's a better place to talk about getting started with MOR.

First, is there a flag that will tell MOR to analyze the contents of
quotes marked with the ["] code? I'm looking at children's narratives
and they frequently include quotations from the characters. I've been
filling in the contents of the quotes by hand, but this is not very
efficient. On a similar note, MOR parses the contents of lines marked
with the [+bch] postcode, and I'd rather omit those.

Second, is there a listing of all the categories somewhere handy? The
linked article lists many of them, but I'm still stumped about the
"post" category.

Third, I attempted to use CHSTRING to make some changes across a batch
of .mor files, but it didn't work as smoothly as I expected it to.
Only some of the requested changes actually happened, which I find
puzzling.

Fourth, I'm also puzzled by some inconsistencies in POST's
performance. It will sometimes know that "decided" should be v|decide-
PAST, but four times out of five it will throw up its cyber-hands in
bafflement. "Couldn't" has an even lower success rate. Can I improve
its hit rate? (I'm wondering if that's the kind of thing for which
POSTTRAIN was designed.)

Last, POST keeps mislabeling "out" as a noun -- over and over and
over. I'm hoping I might be able to modify that, but if not I am
considering deleting the lexicon entry for "out" as a noun because I
am tired of changing it to be an adverb or a preposition. Would that
present any problems I'm not foreseeing?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jamie in Illinois