Bilingual glossing using MOR/POST

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Mon Dec 27 15:23:42 UTC 2010

Hi

I've converted a Spanish/English bilingual file to use the current CLAN default
for language marking, and I'm then going on to gloss it using the MOR/POST
resources for the two languages.

Words in utterances that are completely in Spanish are unmarked, utterances
that are completely in English are marked with the precode [- eng], and
English words in a Spanish utterance are marked with @s.

However, after following the instructions on pp165-6 of the CLAN manual, I'm
getting the following output (this is an excerpt from the full file):
=====
@UTF8
@Begin
@Languages:	spa, eng
@Participants:	SOF Sofía Adult, KEV Kevin Adult
*KEV:	bueno y qué tú crees de [/] de aquí la cuadra lo que están haciendo ?
%mor:	co|bueno=good conj|y=and pro:int|qué=what pro:per|tú=you vpres|
cree&PRES=believe prep|de=of adv|aquí=here det:art|el=the n|cuadra=ward
pro:per:1|lo=him rel|que=that v:aux|esta&PRES=be vger|hace-PROG=do ?
*SOF:	+< pero that's at s illegal at s .
%mor:	conj|pero=but L2|that's L2|illegal .
*SOF:	esa rotonda es illegal at s .
%mor:	det:dem|ese=that ?|rotonda vpres|se-3S&PRES=be L2|illegal .
*SOF:	[- eng] from what I know .
%mor:	prep|from pro:wh|what pro|I v|know .
@End
=====

As you can see, the first utterance in Spanish and the last one in English are
fine, but in the two mixed utterances in the middle the English words are not
glossed, and are just marked L2.

The manual basically says to run your default language MOR grammar with a
switch to leave out the utterances marked with a precode, and then to run the
second language MOR grammar on the utterances marked with a precode.  But is
there a step missing - to deal with mixed utterances?

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly
kevindonnelly.org.uk