more coding questions

Yvan Rose yrose at mun.ca
Thu Dec 8 00:42:13 UTC 2011

Dear Cathy (if I may),
While I do not know what research questions you aim to address with your data, my advice would be to keep phonetic transcriptions on a separate, %pho tier, and restrict yourself to the level of detail you need in your phonetic transcriptions (e.g. here, make use of the relevant diacritics to encode consonant release).

Doing so would enable you to take advantage of the analytic functions of Phon, without a need to make explicit coding of the type you're suggesting at all, via systematic comparisons between target/model IPA forms and the forms produced by the speaker(s) you are documenting. If you are not familiar with the Phon project, please see http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/phon/ or http://phon.ling.mun.ca for starters.

I hope you find (some of) this useful.

Yvan Rose

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php