64 bit support

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 27 17:43:42 UTC 2012

Paul,

	Yes, by POST I do mean post, postlist, postmodrules, postmortem and posttrain applications.

	Post database file "post.db" has the same name in all language grammars. Searching lib directory for "post.db" file name could result in finding wrong language database file, if you have more than one grammar installed in lib directory. For that reason POST requires explicit specification of full path to the right language grammar directory on Unix, Mac and PC. MOR application also requires the use of +l option to specify where the correct language grammar is located.

	Because POST database is a binary file for technical reasons it is incompatible with 64 bit application's internal variables declarations. If we make POST app 64 bit and we also support 32 bit app for backward compatibility, then we would have to create with POSTTRAIN and to distribute two different database files, one for 64 bit applications and one for 32 bit applications. This solution seems impractical to me, at least at this time, since in my humble opinion 32 bit POST applications already perform very fast and making them 64 bit should not make them much faster. But, this is more an administrative issue, then technical one, so I'll leave the final word to people in charge.

Leonid.