Chatter error messages

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sun Mar 18 01:29:39 UTC 2012

On Mar 17, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Kevin Donnelly wrote:

> Hi Brian
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> ::::On Saturday 17 March 2012 Brian MacWhinney said::::
>> The problem in your first example is that you
>> have placed a pause before the retrace mark and the order should be
>> reversed because the retrace mark is intended to apply to the material
>> retraced.
>
> Great - I swapped these around in all the files with a sed one-liner.
>
>> In the case of the second error, you have bumped into a very new
>> "feature" in CHAT that now expects one more vertical bar line at the end
>> of the @ID field.  This was added because a lot of people wanted to have a
>> "custom"  field in the @ID line.  I added this to every file in the
>> database last week.  If you have a very current version of CLAN, it will
>> also add the right number of vertical bars. However, this is super easy to
>> fix.  Just replace the final two vertical bars with three and you should
>> be okay.
>>     I have updated the manual to include this information, but it was very
>> recent and there is no way you would have really known about this.  Sorry.
>
> No problem at all!  I've added the bars.
>
> I've gone through all the files and cleared all the errors, except for some
> bullet errors, which the others will look at, and two remaining ones:
>
> *ELI:	[- spa] <no sé> .
> *** File "patagonia37.cha": line 1745, column 23: parser: no viable
> alternative at input '.'

A basic rule of CHAT is that a pair of angle brackets must always be followed by something
in square brackets.  Chatter is parsing along and then hits the period and says, wait, I was
looking for something else.  It would be great if it would tell you what it is looking for, but that
turns out to be difficult to program.

> Is this because of the preceding angle bracket?
>
> %eng:	he had paid £400 for the papers.
> *** File "patagonia26.cha": line 431, column 19: lexer: skipping nonviable
> character '£' (Unicode \u00a3) in state 78
>
> In depfile.cut I have
> and that allows it to clear CHECK, but what do I do to get it to clear
> Chatter.

> CHECK doesn't do any Unicode character checking at all.  Chatter, on the other hand,
does a fair amount, most of which is good because it catches errors.  But sometimes there is
a character such as £ that lies in some range that is being excluded and Chatter gets unhappy.
I will check with Franklin to see if there is a simple way to allow in £.  However, we don't really want
number and symbols because they are not really words.  A better format is "he had paid four hundred pounds for the papers"

-- Brian