Chatter error messages

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Sat Mar 17 13:21:40 UTC 2012

Hi Brian

Thanks for this.

::::On Saturday 17 March 2012 Brian MacWhinney said::::
> The problem in your first example is that you
> have placed a pause before the retrace mark and the order should be
> reversed because the retrace mark is intended to apply to the material
> retraced.

Great - I swapped these around in all the files with a sed one-liner.

> In the case of the second error, you have bumped into a very new
> "feature" in CHAT that now expects one more vertical bar line at the end
> of the @ID field.  This was added because a lot of people wanted to have a
> "custom"  field in the @ID line.  I added this to every file in the
> database last week.  If you have a very current version of CLAN, it will
> also add the right number of vertical bars. However, this is super easy to
> fix.  Just replace the final two vertical bars with three and you should
> be okay.
>      I have updated the manual to include this information, but it was very
> recent and there is no way you would have really known about this.  Sorry.

No problem at all!  I've added the bars.

I've gone through all the files and cleared all the errors, except for some
bullet errors, which the others will look at, and two remaining ones:

*ELI:	[- spa] <no sé> .
*** File "patagonia37.cha": line 1745, column 23: parser: no viable
alternative at input '.'

Is this because of the preceding angle bracket?

%eng:	he had paid £400 for the papers.
*** File "patagonia26.cha": line 431, column 19: lexer: skipping nonviable
character '£' (Unicode \u00a3) in state 78

In depfile.cut I have
and that allows it to clear CHECK, but what do I do to get it to clear
Chatter.

I'm assuming that CHECK may clear something that Chatter doesn't.because XML
is notoriously finicky about stuff, and Chatter needs to do different validation.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly
kevindonnelly.org.uk