xx no longer marks the spot?

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Nov 19 18:08:13 UTC 2012

Dear Mark,
    About six months ago, we got rid of the distinction between xxx and xx.  The reason for the change had to do with the various complexities of how xx and xxx were being counted or excluded in MLU and other programs.  The only purpose of xx was to mark the number of syllables in an unintelligible string.  However, people (including myself) were not using it in this way and there was really no sense maintaining a distinction that even I couldn't keep straight in practice.

-- Brian MacWhinney