KWAL vs. Freq - different output?

Katie Lippitt klippitt at terpmail.umd.edu
Wed Jul 31 13:30:25 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am creating subdivisions for the filled pauses um and uh in CLAN for a
certain body of data. All of the filled pauses were originally marked @fp.
I know this is unorthodox but in order to create the subdivisions we are
going through and adding @l (lexical) @s (syntactic) and @o (other) after
the @fp. This data is not going to be used for any databases, I just need a
systematic way to differentiate the filled pauses.

I have a list of how many filled pauses there are in each transcript and
I've been using FREQ to make sure that I remarked all of the filled pauses.
I was surprised that FREQ brought up all three of my categories and any
filled pauses I missed but the numbers didn't match what I had previously.
When I KWAL the transcript or find the filled pauses by hand I find the
right number.

Is there any reason that KWAL and FREQ wouldn't match?

I did re-download CLAN and try again.
I've been searching with the command freq +sum*  +suh* in order to get all
my post codes.

Thanks,
Katie