using +u in freq to get "merged" output

Shanley Allen shanley at bu.edu
Wed Jan 22 15:12:53 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I'm doing a freq and trying to get results from many input files together
in one output file. The children in the different input files have four
different identifiers - *JUP, *MAE, *SUP, *ALI - and not just all *CHI.

If I do the following command using my version of CLAN from 17-AUG-2011, it
merges all the results for all the children into one output file. But if my
RA does it on her computer using her version of CLAN from 11-AUG-2013, it
gives separate outputs for each child identifier code.
freq +t*JUP +t*ALI +t*MAE +t*SUP +t%mor +sVR* +u +p+ *.txt

I want the data all together, not separated by child. We have tried the
freq merge option, but this has three problems:
1. you have to do separate analyses for each child and later merge them -
tedious when you want to do a lot of analyses across the group of children
2. in freq you can use +o to get an output in order of frequency (rather
than alphabetical); freq merge doesn't seem to have a way to do that so we
can only end up with an alphabetical order output
3. when the freq files get merged using freq merge, the tokens add up
correctly, but the types do not. So if each of five children says "hello"
once, the freq merge will give the output of 5 types and 5 tokens (instead
of 1 type and 5 tokens)

Thus my question: Is there an option in the 2013 version of CLAN to get one
output file for all children with different identifier codes just in one
step, like my 2011 version of CLAN can do?

Thanks,
Shanley.