Windows 10, Quicktime and CLAN

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 25 17:44:22 UTC 2015

Stéphanie,

	Since you did not describe specific problems that your students are having, I will address two problems that we are aware of.

First is a jerky video playback on Windows 8 or 10. This happens when video playback requires more CPU power than computer has. Laptop computers are particularly wimpy when it come to CMU power. The other cause of the problem could be some other power hungry application running at the same time on the PC. Even if QuickTime player can playback video smoothly, it does not mean that CLAN will be able to on the same PC, because CLAN does more than just playback video as QuickTime player does and it needs more power. The solution might be to make sure that CLAN is the only application running on PC. But, better solution is to encode video with QuickTime friendly format, to make video file about one hour long and to choose lower encoding Data Rate. If have noticed most of youtube videos are encodes with Data Rate of 400 to about 900 kbits/sec. The benefit of this is not only smaller media file size, but also a smooth playback on as many types of computers as possible. Of cause this is a trade-off of video quality versus playback performance and compatibility.

Second is CLAN reporting an error that it can't open the media file on Windows 10, even when the media file is in the right place. We have seen this happen on only one Windows 10 PC out of 10 PCs that we have tested CLAN on. It happens because Windows 10 has made some changes to security feature which changed file protection and CLAN no longer has read access to the media file, even if the file is located in common place. The solution for this is to open CLAN in "administrator" mode. Right click on CLAN icon on desktop and choose "Run as administrator" menu. After that open CHAT data files from within the CLAN application using "File->Open..." menu.

Leonid.