conversational turns in CLAN?

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 21 02:44:10 UTC 2018

Dear Janet,
    CHIP is designed to track patterns of feedback to the child, not turn-taking.  As I understand it, you are trying to actually count the "turns" as defined by a change of speaker.  If that is the emphasis, then you could create a rather complex cross-tier COMBO search patterns that looks for instance of *CHI followed in the next utterance by *MOT.  For your example, that would give you 3 such sequences.  You could create another pattern to search for the opposite sequence with *MOT followed right away with *CHI.  Perhaps you could read the part of the manual that talks about cross-tier COMBO for the details.

-- Brian MacWhinney, Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology, CMU