Mor, Check, MATTR, and Kideval Questions

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 15 23:41:57 UTC 2018

Hello,

	The filler such as "&-um" or "&t" or anything that starts with "&" does not get coded on %mor tier. The problem with "uhhuh" could be CLAN got in bad state, in which case quit CLAN and restart it, or if your are using an older version of CLAN it might have a bug. Please, make sure that you have the latest version of CLAN. The reason you are getting Mor Error message is because the word "uhhuh" is missing from %mor tier.

I have created a small CHAT file using example tiers from your email below and I am attaching it to this email. I have ran it through MOR on my computer and you can see that %mor tier in my sample file has "uhhuh" coded correctly. Please, run this sample file through MOR on your computer and tell me if your output is missing "uhhuh" words on %mor tier. If the output that you get is missing "uhhuh" words, then the problem might be with version of your CLAN or system you are running CLAN on. Are you using Mac or PC or Linux?

If the output that you get has all "uhhuh" words correctly coded on %mor tier, then the problem might be with your larger files that triger a bug in MOR. Please email to me dirrectly your data file that has the problem with "uhhuh" word.

The answer to your question about differences in TTRs produce by FREQ MATTR and KIDEVAL TTRs is that KIDEVAL does not compute MATTR. Also, FREQ computes words from speaker tier and KIDEVAL computes words from %mor tier. In this case word like "it's" will computed by FREQ as one word and by KIDEVAL as two words.

Leonid.