Using FREQ/KWAL to output quoted material

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 17 16:27:22 UTC 2019

Cathy,

	Quotes are tricky. The basic command to find tiers with quotes is:

kwal +s\+\" +s\+\"/. +s“ *.cha

Command to count quotes is:

freq +s\+\" +s\+\"/. +s“ *.cha

The tricky part is to search for words “bath” and “ratinhos at s” themselves, because quotes can be used to cover more than one word and CLAN is designed to work on one word at the time. Let me know if you want to find quoted words themselves. Or if you just want to know how many quotes there are in the data. In the last case you can use command shown above.

Leonid.