FLUCALC Question

Nan Bernstein Ratner nratner at umd.edu
Fri Jul 26 03:40:15 UTC 2019

Chelsea, from what I can see, it is POSSIBLE that this utterance is best
parsed into smaller units. Certainly the last phrase fulfills some
definitions as its own utterance, structurally (it's a "sentence" in its
own right), but utterances usually have more complex determinants. Criteria
vary, but we tend to use "2 out of 3" set of criteria to potentially
separate long turns like this into shorter utterances: is there a final
contour to some phrases in the middle of this run, are there silences or
respiratory intakes, and does something stand as a grammatical "sentence"
or phrase. Only 2 need apply for us to segment something like this into
smaller units. These sorts of determinations are important for other
reasons, since so many kid language measures are proportioned over
utterances, such as MLU, IPSYN, DSS, etc. If some transcribers are making
"maximal" decisions about where utterances end, and others are more
conservative, you will wind up with some very variable estimates of
language, not just fluency.

It would be impossible to know if any part of this qualified to be divided
out without the audio. If you wanted to share a clip with me privately, I
might be able to provide some guidance.

I can definitely see a situation where, if a speaker were sufficiently
disfluent, and each disfluency counts as a word as well as the actual
words, that setting a limit of 50 per utterance COULD run up against some
problems. But the current limit is an attempt to prevent people from
placing turns, rather than utterances, on speaker tiers, since so many
language variables proportion over utterances, not turns.

best,

Nan Bernstein Ratner, F-, H-ASHA, F-AAAS, ABCLD
Professor
Hearing and Speech Sciences
University of Maryland
0100 Lefrak Hall
College Park, MD 20742
nratner at umd.edu, 301-405-4217

Co-director: FluencyBank (www.fluency.talkbank.org);
http://languagefluency.umd.edu/

President, International Fluency Association (IFA; http://theifa.org)
Director, University of Maryland Autism Research Consortium (UMARC),
www.autism.umd.edu
Faculty, Language Science (languagescience.umd.edu; Neuroscience &
Cognitive Neuroscience (NACS, nacs.umd.edu), Developmental Science Field
Committee

http://hesp.umd.edu/facultyprofile/bernstein%20ratner/nan

My PubMed Bibliography
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/1-UVaaDdREZ/bibliography/40436718/public/?sort=date&direction=ascending>