phrasal verbs

Janet Bang janet.bang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 23:37:18 UTC 2020

Hi Brian,

Yes you bring up a good point! After conferring with my colleagues we are
now thinking of limiting the linkages of such phrases to the following
cases:

1) The linkage is used as communicators in a formulaic way
For example, "come on" is often used as a replacement for "come" and the
preposition "on" is not used in a meaningful way, and "hold on", "hang on"
or "hold up" can be used as synonyms for "wait" (e.g., "hold on a minute"
when the caregiver is telling the child to wait) whereas in "hold on tight
to that there" the combination of "hold" and "on" does not mean "wait". We
noticed that many of these were also in the co-under.cut files.

2) The linkage is used to refer to a noun
For example, "let's play dress up" (noun) versus "let's dress up the doll"
(verb), or "put on your pull up" (noun) versus "pull up your pants" (verb)

This seems like it best allows us to capture usage in a way that is
consistent with respect to its function and meaning.

Janet