Using the gem and freq commands on bilingual data to get types and tokens by language for different activities

Sarah Surrain sarahsurrain at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 01:18:12 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am working with Spanish-English bilingual data from parent-child dyads.
In the header, I have specified the languages as
@Languages:    spa, en
and I have used [- eng] precodes for English utterances and @s tags on
English words embedded in Spanish utterances.

I would like to use gem markers to segment the transcripts by activity
(such as book reading) and then run a freq command to count the number of
tokens in Spanish and English used by the parent and child during that
activity.

I used this command to retrieve only the book reading activities and create
new CHAT files with headers:
gem +sbook +d1 +f *.cha

Then I tried these commands on the output to create an Excel file with the
types, tokens, TTR and MATTR for each language:
freq +l +s*@s:eng +d3 +b10 *.cha
freq +l +s*@s:spa +d3 +b10 *.cha

However, I am getting these errors:
Language "eng" is not defined on "@Languages:" header tier.
and
Illegal use of "@s", no alternative language in position 1 defined on
@Language: tier.

I can fix this by manually pasting the @Languages line into the header in
the new file that I created using the gem command. Is there a way to
automatically create CHAT files using the gem command that retain the
@Languages line?

(I also tried the gemfreq command (gemfreq +sbook +l +s*@s:eng +d3 +b10
*.cha) but I wasn't able to create an excel worksheet with the types,
tokens, etc for each participant. I got the error: The only +d levels
allowed are 0–1).

Thank you!

Sarah Surrain

Sarah Surrain, Ed.M.