New way to transcribe song lyrics?

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 25 16:58:31 UTC 2020

Dear Lulu,
    Thanks for re-checking this.  The one thing you probably want to avoid is marking every word in a song with @si.  That would mess up all sorts of other analysis programs.  Using +” at the beginning of each line of song works fine, unless you are really concerned with noting that the material is a song.  I imagine it is pretty clear in most cases.  If  you really want to emphasize that a given stretch of lines is a song, then you could use the <lyrics> [=! singing] format.  If they are very long songs and you need to analyze them specifically, you could even use Gem markers.

-- Brian MacWhinney
Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology,
Computational Linguistics,
and Modern Languages, CMU