Flucalc 50 word limit

Julianne Terese Garbarino jgarbari at umd.edu
Wed Jan 15 15:41:59 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am trying to run FLUCALC on transcripts of adolescent and young adult
speakers and I'm having a similar problem to what Chelsea posted about
recently (error with 50 word limit). When I try to run FLUCALC, I am
getting an error that says "ERROR: exceeded number of words per utterance
(morW) limit of 50."

Re-segmenting seems to have worked for Chelsea because she was using the
2/3 criteria. However, for consistency with similar literature, my files
need to be segmented into C-Units. I've come up with rules to ensure that I
am being internally consistent and have segmented all of my transcripts
according to these rules, so re-segmenting is not an option for me.

For instance, this is one of the utterances over 50 words. It is one C-Unit
because there's only one main subject and verb (bolded):

*PAR: knowing how most people think and how most people judge others on
whether
or not we're as smart as them or capable at certain things as them &-uh
knowing how people are this way *they would* likely* place* a bigger
emphasis on
that rather than what they are supposed to do just focusing on placement .

Here is the screenshot:

Is there a way that I can over-write the 50 word limit?

Julianne Garbarino
Hearing and Speech Sciences PhD Candidate
University of Maryland