freq of question marks for only coded utterances

Mary DePascale mdepascale at wesleyan.edu
Thu Jul 16 17:19:12 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have transcripts that I have coded for use of different types of math
talk with a coding tier %mth. I am interested in looking at, of the
utterances that have been coded with a %mth code, the number of those that
end in a question mark.

I had tried using freq with: freq +t%mth +t*CHI +s$ +s"?" +d2, however this
only gives the total number of total utterances coded with %mth. I have
also seen how to get the number of all utterances that end with a question
mark, but not specifically for those that are/are not coded.

For example:

*FAT: how much ten plus ten?
%mth: $AR:P
*CHI: um: eleven?
%mth: $AR:R
*FAT: 0.
%act: shakes head no.
*CHI: what?
*FAT: how much ten plus ten?
%mth: $AR:P

Here, the child asks 2 questions ("um eleven?" and "what?", but only 1
question that is a question also coded with a %mth code. How can I get CLAN
to return the value of 1 then in this case?

Thanks,
Mary