.cut files

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Jun 6 00:41:55 UTC 2020

Dear Cathy,
    Leonid answered your basic question about the shape of .cut files for the +s option used by COMBO or FREQ, as well as your questions about searches with periods.
    I will try to answer a few more of your questions.

1.   If you want the output to include more options, rather than fewer, you would want the +slong^*^ago option for "long ago" with anything in the middle.

2.  Regarding "bound morphemes that might be mistakenly dropped", I don't see how those would figure with the words "long" and "ago" but I could imagine other examples, such as +sremov*^*^slipper" for the Cinderella story in which you want to match "remove", "removing", and "removed", but maybe the "ing" was deleted.  I'm not really sure what you have in mind,  but that is the general idea.

3.  For your question about use of what you call "gloss", I am thinking you are really interested in what CHAT calls the replacement symbol, as in [: minute].  The switch that controls that is +r5

-- Brian MacWhinney