SALT2CHAT & Language Codes

Mihaela Barokova mihaela.barokova at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 09:38:27 UTC 2020

Dear All,

My collaborator and I are currently working with transcribed mother-child
interactions collected from Bulgarian toddlers and preschoolers. All of our
language samples are transcribed in Bulgarian (Cyrillic) in SALT, and we
would like to convert them to the CHAT format to analyze with CLAN. Based
on the *The CHAT Transcription Format *documentation, it appears that
currently there is no language code for Bulgarian. We tried using the
language code for Russian to convert our transcripts using the SALT2CHAT
function, but it appears that not all symbols (Cyrillic letters) get
recognized, and the conversion turns some of the letters into punctuation
marks. Has anyone encountered this issue? Does anyone who has transcribed
in Cyrillic and used the SALT2CHAT function have any advice?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Mihaela