CLAN for Catalina

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon May 4 00:15:40 UTC 2020

Dear Info-CHILDES and ChiBolts,

   Leonid has been working now for five months on porting CLAN to Cocoa and Objective C for the new Catalina operating system on Macintosh.  The results are good, but there is a lot to do still.  We hate to make predictions on when this will be ready, but perhaps August would be a good guess.  In the meantime, I have found that I have to continually ignore the reminders from Apple to run System Update which would then install Catalina and make it impossible for me to use CLAN on my Mac.  Fortunately, Macworld has a nice set of instructions on how to turn off these reminders.  It is at

https://www.macworld.com/article/3447396/how-to-stop-getting-a-reminder-to-update-to-catalina-in-macos.html <https://www.macworld.com/article/3447396/how-to-stop-getting-a-reminder-to-update-to-catalina-in-macos.html>

The first part of the process just involves going into System Preferences/Software Update and clicking on the Advanced button and turning off all of the options.  After that, to "clean out" the reminder, you need to run some commands in the terminal.  There are three commands there -- the second one is a long one that wraps across two lines in the web page, but treat it as a single command.

Best,

-- Brian MacWhinney