Depfiles & gems

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 27 04:36:48 UTC 2020

Hi Ingrid,

	As Brian has already mentioned it would be best if the data does pass CHECK. However, GEM and FREQ and other commands were designed to work on data files that do not pass CEHCK all the way. One problem with not passing CHECK is that data might not be consistent and when searching for codes on particular dependent tiers or searching for particular GEMS the misspelled tiers or GEM markers will be ignored, thus results might be missing some information. Changing depfile.cut is not recommended.

For your data, for example to create GEM output files for "narrative" GEMS, you can use the command "gem +t@ +t% +snarrative +fnarrative +d *.cha" and then you can run command "freq +t%ref +t%car +d2 *.narrative.cex" to get FREQ Excel results. The "+fnarrative" option in GEM will create output with ".narrative.cex" file extension which will make it easier to identify a particular data set later on.

Leonid.