TalkBank Browser replacement

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 21 15:32:16 UTC 2020

Dear Info-CHILDES and ChiBolts,

    For the last two months, we have experienced server crashing problems related to the TalkBank Browser (Browsable Database) function that relied on old PHP code. To address this issue, John Kowalski has used JavaScript to build a new TalkBank Browser system that is now installed on all the servers.  Although this system is currently missing a few of the features of the earlier browser, it also has some important new features and we hope to add missing features over the next few weeks.  In particular, the system currently does not print out a variety of characters in transcripts, because the focus is on providing media playback. If you want to look at the original CHAT format of a transcript, you can click on the link at the top of the window and the original will be displayed.

If you find any features missing that are crucial for your work, please write to me (macw at cmu.edu <mailto:macw at cmu.edu>) and we will try to prioritize adding them.

Best,

-- Brian MacWhinney