Re: transcribing pauses’ duration in between segments

Brian Macwhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 18 14:04:29 UTC 2021

Dear Noémie,
     I think you are referring not to “segments” but to “utterances”.  If you were really going to mark the duration of pauses between phonological segments, that would be a very different thing and you would probably be talking about things like prolongation, blocking, or glottal stops.
     For marking pauses between utterances or between turns, a lot depends on who you thing “owns” the pause.  If the first speaker is clearly finished with their turn, then you could choose the form ini which the pause is marked on the second speaker (your second example).  Otherwise, you could choose the first form.  The third form you give is used mostly for CA (Conversation Analysis) coding in which there is an emphasis on coding of each phrasal group on a single line.
     You don’t include an example of a turn-internal pause.  For the study of disfluency, I would think that type of pause would be the one of principle relevance.  For consistency, that one is best marked at the end of the first utterance of the speaker.

— Brian MacWhinney