transcribing pauses’ duration in between segments

Noémie noemie.baulande at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 07:33:23 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

 Here is a question from the FRuBiC project (French-Russian Bilingual
Children).

 Since we focus mainly on disfluencies, we are interested in transcribing
the pauses’ duration in between segments ; But we’re not so sure on how to
transcribe it following CHAT’s conventions. In which segment should the
pause be included ?

 Should it be included in the segment preceding the pause, as in :

 *INV: what is this ? (0.65)
 *CHI: it’s a banana .

 Should it be included in the segment following the pause, as in :

 *INV: what is this ?
 *CHI: (0.65) it’s a banana .

 Or should it be considered as a segment itself, as in :

 *INV: what is this ?
 (0.65)
 *CHI: it’s a banana .

 Thanks a lot for your help,

 Best regards,

 Noémie Baulande,
 For the FRuBiC project (French-Russian Bilingual Children).
University of Toulouse II