Beginning and ending quotes in the %mor tier

Daisuke Miyamoto dmiyamoto at g.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sat Dec 4 03:39:36 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

It's nice to meet you! I am a Japanese linguist working on creating CHAT
files for children's second language acquisition.

I would like to ask you about how beginning and ending quotes are treated
in the %mor tier. In p.11 of the MOR manual
(https://doi.org/10.21415/T5B97X), it is said that the file punct.cut
contains the following entries as punctuation marks.

*„ * {[scat end]} "end"
*‡*  {[scat beg]} "beg"
*, * {[scat cm]} "cm"
*“ * {[scat bq]} "bq"
*” * {[scat eq]} "eq"
*‘ *{[scat bq]} “bq2”
*’* {[scat eq]} “eq2”

But actually, punct.cut in my MOR folder (downloaded on 12th, August, 2021)
contains only the first three punctuations (end, beg, cm), and neither
beginning quotes nor ending quotes are included in it.

As a result, the following two main lines are indistinguishable in the %mor
tier:

*CHI: he said you are lucky „ didn't he ?
%mor: pro:sub|he v|say&PAST pro:per|you cop|be&PRES adj|luck&dn-Y end|end
mod|do&PAST~neg|not pro:sub|he ?

*CHI: he said “ you are lucky ” „ didn't he ?
%mor: pro:sub|he v|say&PAST pro:per|you cop|be&PRES adj|luck&dn-Y end|end
mod|do&PAST~neg|not pro:sub|he ?

Is this as expected?

Best,
Daisuke Miyamoto