Acronyms

brielle.stark brielle.stark at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 15:45:33 UTC 2021

Hello! We have a question on coding the following very common acronyms that
we see in the medical story:

CT
MRI
IV
ER

In the manual, it says:

8.6.3 Capitalization and Acronyms The MOR program depends on capitalization
of the first letter to identify a word as a proper noun. Earlier versions
of CHAT only allowed capital letters at the beginnings of words. This meant
that transcribers had to write acronyms suc as FBI as F_B_I. However, that
restriction has now been lifted and writing FBI is now correct. Other
examples include MIT, CMU, USA, MTV, ET, and IU. More complicated acronyms
may require underscores, as in C_three_PO and R_two_D_two. The recommended
way of transcribing the common name for television is just tv. This form is
not capitalized, since it is not a proper noun. Similarly, we can write cd,
vcr, tv, and dvd. The underscore is the best mark for combinations that are
not true compounds such as m_and_m-s for the M&M candy. Acronyms that are
not actually spelled out when produced in conversation should be written as
words. Thus UNESCO would be written as Unesco. The capitalization of the
first letter is used to indicate the fact that it is is a proper noun.
There must be no periods inside acronyms and titles, because these can be
confused with utterance delimiters.

Are we thinking correctly that it should be:

i_v
m_r_i
c_t
e_r