PRAAT-CHAT: bullets and linked vido?

Bridget Rennard bridgetrennard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 16:43:31 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am involved with a project in which we are converting PRAAT files with
timing information of mother-child language samples to be able to use in
CLAN and do language analyses. When the samples are converted with
praat2chat, there are bullets on each utterance line that appear to have
timing information when the bullets are expanded. However, upon linking the
video of the sample to the CHAT file, the video opens and plays but it
doesn't go down the file line by line like it would do normally with
bullets in CLAN.

Are those bullets (from Praat) inserted automatically or do they have any
information related to playback? Do you think that I would need to link the
file and add bullets in a separate, new CHAT file and then copy and paste
the transcription over so that the transcription is linked (which would be
lots of extra work, but if there's no other way then would that be our best
bet)?

Thank you!