CLAN questions - new user

Janet Bang janet.bang at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 17:58:07 UTC 2021

Hi Brenda,

Adding onto Leonid's suggestions about postcodes, which we found helpful
for a similar purpose. Here are some guidelines that we've been using
regarding booksharing where in our study we were trying to distinguish when
caregivers are reading from the book directly (we refer to as 'recited'
speech) or include a mix of recited and spontaneous speech (we refer to as
"recited mixed" speech). Any utterances without a postcode we consider
their spontaneous and natural speech, and this has been working out ok for
us when we want to extract different portions so far. Our decision to
distinguish "recited" from "recited mix" was more for descriptive purposes,
than for our primary research questions, where we just combine both when we
consider reading passages.

Our postcodes:
[+ recit] means they are reciting the text
[+ rmix] means that they are mixing the text with their own deviations from
the text or adding to the text

*Recited utterances: [+ recit]*

Acceptable words for recited speech include speech that is ‘starting’ an
utterance to get the child’s attention. In the example below, “look it
says” is not part of the text, but is starting the utterance.

      *MOT:             look it says Thomas_the_Train went round and round.
[+ recit]

The following are still accepted as recited:

   - If the caregiver reads parts of the recited text and skips around the
   page, but every word is said as it is written, then give this a recited
   code.
   - Changing “that” for “which” or vice versa is acceptable and not enough
   for a rmix postcode.
   - Contractions or vice versa are acceptable as recited because these do
   not change the meaning (e.g., the text is “I will be back said the dog” and
   the caregiver says “I’ll be back said the dog”, or vice versa.)
   - Changing the order of words (e.g., white fluffy feathers to fluffy
   white feathers)

*Recited mixed utterances: [+ rmix]*

Any words that are omitted, added or changed within the text should get the
[+ rmix] postcode. For example, the text is “and King said he was so happy
to see his friends”.

         Omitted “so”:

            *MOT:             and King said he was happy to see his friends
[+ rmix]

         Added language:

            *MOT:             and King said he was so happy to see his
*good* friends [+ rmix]

         Changed language: this includes articles (e.g., a vs. the)

            *MOT:             and King said he was so happy to see his
*friend* [+ rmix]

           We also count translations of the recited text (this counts for
‘live’ translations, where

the caregiver has a book in one language in front of them that does not
have the translated text, so instead is translating it as they read). We
will count this here because this language is no longer spontaneous, since
what to say is dictated by the text available.