question about fillers and communicators in bilingual transcription

Janet Bang janet.bang at gmail.com
Tue May 11 01:46:49 UTC 2021

Hello,

We are transcribing play sessions in the lab between Spanish-speaking
caregivers (primarily from Mexico, now living in the US) and their
Spanish-English 6-year-old bilingual children. We are interested in
assessing utterances that are English, Spanish or code-switched. We're
currently debating how to treat English fillers and communicators (e.g.,
um, okay, wow), since these are used by both children and caregivers.

For example, some utterances we see are:

   - *MOT: vamos a cocinar okay at s?
   - *MOT: wow at s estás cocinando!
   - *CHI: no quieres um at s tengo esto.
   - *MOT: vamos a poner some at s salt at s.
   - *CHI: estos son peas at s.
   - *MOT: okay at s?

We have been debating some different approaches to decide on what our
criteria for code-switching would be. We noticed in the literature and in
some of the existing bilingual corpora on CHILDES that there were some
different methods for this (including excluding some vs. others).

If anyone has any thoughts on this or other references [in any language
combinations], it would be much appreciated! Apologies if I've missed any
conventions for this in the manuals.

Thank you!
Janet